FBI seizes New York Mayor Eric Adams’ phones, iPad in fundraising probe

NEW YORK – FBI agents seized New York City Mayor Eric Adams’ iPhones and iPads in what appears to be part of a campaign fundraising corruption investigation.

Adams’ campaign confirmed that his electronic devices were taken by FBI agents Monday night, but his attorney issued a somewhat cryptic statement that appeared to indicate that he found out that someone close to him acted improperly.

“After learning of the federal investigation, it was discovered that an individual had recently acted improperly. In the spirit of transparency and cooperation, this conduct was immediately and proactively reported to the investigators. The mayor has been and continues to be committed to cooperating in this case,” said Adams’ campaign attorney Boyd Johnson. “On Monday night, the FBI approached the mayor after an event. The mayor immediately complied with the FBI’s request and provided them with electronic devices. The mayor has not been charged with any wrongdoing and continues to cooperate with the investigation.”

On Wednesday, at his weekly meeting with reporters, Adams faced mostly questions about the fantastic FBI raid on the home of his main campaign fundraiser Brianna Suggs. The mayor did not disclose that he had been contacted by FBI agents who confiscated his electronic devices two days earlier.

“As a former member of law enforcement, I expect all members of my staff to follow the law and fully cooperate with any investigation — and I will continue to do just that. I have nothing to hide,” Adams said in a statement Friday.

Sources told CBS New York political reporter Marcia Kramer that the information Adams’ lawyers turned over to investigators did not implicate Suggs, but someone else in the mayor’s circle.

READ MORE  More Arrests After Brazen East LA Nike Flash Mob Robbery

Sources refused to characterize the person, but information about them was believed to be on one of the mayor’s devices, which was apparently returned to him after a few days.

An FBI spokesman declined to comment.

Related Articles

Back to top button