State government departments are recruiting for key technology roles, including managers, executives and an architect.
The California Department of Technology (CDT) is recruiting for a deputy head of state for technology (Career Executive Assignment) to oversee the day-to-day operations of the Office of Technology Services (OTech) and serve as a member of the CDT management team.
The deputy state CTO “is responsible for providing mission and values-based leadership, direction, support and assistance to the OTech operating divisions,” the job posting states. The incumbent works with and advises, among other things, the CDT director/head of state, the deputy director/deputy head of state and the state’s technology manager.
The role’s responsibilities, according to the posting and the statement of duties, include:
- Set policy and conduct ongoing review of a wide range of IT services. Provide recommendations and analysis to senior managers in CDT on coordination of the office’s roles and responsibilities to improve the level of support for major customer IT projects.
- Provide leadership to OTech deputies in planning and managing computer operations and production support, systems and database administration, network operations, service desk support, customer service and CALNET telecommunications contract services.
- Work collaboratively with stakeholders to resolve the administrative and technological challenges of IT solutions, as well as develop processes and procedures to continue supporting its customers to deliver a reliable computing infrastructure to the government.
- Manage strategic relationships with key IT product and service providers.
- Provide leadership in the selection of strategic technology that will help the office and its clients achieve maximum leverage for the dollars spent.
The position has a monthly salary range of $12,329 to $13,998 and the application deadline is December 13.
The California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) is recruiting for a assistant head of department (IT Manager II) to lead the Software Engineering and Support Section (SESS). The incumbent will oversee application engineering and architecture, environment management, application/interface/release support, mid-tier support, as well as the database management services.
“These units are highly technical and engaged in high-priority business initiatives,” the job posting states. “The role involves direct management and responsibility for both the teams’ strategic direction and their deliverables. Taking on this critical role provides a unique opportunity to significantly impact and contribute to CalPERS’ continued success.”
Desirable qualifications for this position include:
- Experience coordinating and leading high profile enterprise system/product implementation projects.
- Demonstrated expertise in seamlessly integrating advanced technologies into the company’s digital ecosystem.
- Highly organized and analytical, with the ability to manage multiple work streams in a deadline-oriented environment.
- Ability to show a high degree of initiative, independence of action and originality.
- Ability to exercise tact and sound judgment that recognizes the best interests of CalPERS and our work efforts.
More details about the role can be found in the statement of duties. The monthly salary range is $10,421 to $12,668 and the application deadline is November 30.
The California Department of Justice (DOJ) is recruiting for a project manager (IT Manager II) to be responsible for the management and delivery of the Department’s Firearms Information Technology Systems Modernization (FITSM) project through CDT Project Approval Lifecycle (PAL) Stages 2 through 4 and through project implementation.
The incumbent will serve as the Project Manager (PM) and is responsible “for ensuring that the necessary project management and planning methods and practices are in place for the successful implementation and development of all PAL deliverables and artifacts and implementation of the approved project solution” in compliance with government IT and security policies and industry standards, according to the job posting. “The Prime Minister will be responsible for the overall FITSM project; resource, workload and budget management; (and) oversee all project and development phases that include PAL and subsequent FITSM project development and implementation phases.”
Desirable qualifications for the position include:
- Direct experience of managing IT projects, either in a PM/Director role or a key role on large projects.
- Extensive knowledge of government IT policies, processes, practices and direction.
- A strong understanding of project management methodologies and fundamentals and the project approval lifecycle and experience in all aspects of project delivery including concept, initiation, planning, execution, closeout, maintenance and operations.
- Ability to show a high degree of initiative, independence of action and creativity as well as good independent judgement.
- Strong leadership skills and an ability to develop and maintain professional, effective and collaborative relationships.
More details about the role can be found in the statement of duties. The position has a monthly salary of $10,421 to $12,668, and the application deadline is December 1.
The California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA) is seeking one solution architect for the Centralized Revenue Opportunity System (CROS) to “work independently to deliver the highest level of complex software solutions related to application and infrastructure functional dependencies, software conversions/integrations, and overall system health.”
According to the job posting, the architect (IT Specialist III) “represents the CROS production support team in all technical efforts to maintain and improve the system and associated policies, standards, and governance practices.”
The architect “will provide expert technical and architectural advice and management for the most complex Revenue Accounting functions of the system. The incumbent participates in all phases of the system development life cycle to create and maintain interfaces, databases and applications to support the CROS solution.”
This position requires, among other things, a background check and a statement of qualifications. More information can be found in the statement of duties. The role has a monthly salary range of $8,700 to $11,659 and recruiting will continue until the position is filled.